Unit 1 – Present continuous and present simple 1
A – State verbs
We can use the present continuous with some state verbs (e.g. attract, like, look, love, sound) to emphasise that a situation is temporary or for a period of time around the present. Compare:
◌ Ella stays with us quite often. The children love having her here.
◌ Ella is with us at the moment. The children are loving having her here.
State verbs which we rarely use with the present continuous include believe, consist of, doubt, own.
Some verbs have different meanings when they are used to talk about states and when they describe actions. With their ‘state’ meanings, they usually take simple rather than continuous forms. With their ‘action’ meanings, they may take simple or continuous forms, depending on context. Compare:
◌ The app doesn’t appear to work on my phone. (appear: state = seem)
◌ Carley Robb is currently appearing in a musical on Broadway. She often appears in musicals. (appear: action = take part)
Also: cost, expect, feel, fit, have, imagine, measure, think, weigh
a couple of = two persons and things joined or related in some way
The monkey has a couple of bananas.
He arrived a couple of days ago.
Bobby has a couple of pens in his pocket.
A: Have you been to Europe?
B: Yes, a couple of times.
a long time ago = once upon a time; many years ago; ages ago; long ago
A long time ago, dinosaurs lived on the earth.
A long time ago, there were no airplanes.
My grandfather was a pilot a long time ago.
A: When did you go to Germany?
B: I went to Germany a long time ago, in 1963.
A1+ Seviyesi Pratik İngilizce
○ How many supermarkets are there in this town?
◌ There are five supermarkets in this town.
○ Is a supermarket a small shop?
◌ No, a supermarket isn’t a small shop. It’s a big shop.
○ Where can we buy food?
◌ We can buy food at the grocer’s.
○ Where can we buy books?
◌ We can buy books in a bookshop.
○ Which do you prefer: buying at the supermarket or buying in small shops?
◌ I prefer buying in a small shops.
○ Do you like buying new clothes?
◌ Yes, I like buying new clothes.
○ Can you use the internet?
◌ Yes, I can use the internet?
○ Do you often use the internet at school?
◌ Yes, I often use the internet at school.
○ Are there a lot of films on the internet?
◌ Yes, there are a lot of films on the internet.
○ Do you buy things on the internet?
◌ Yes, I buy things on the internet.
○ What kind of things?
◌ For example, CDs and clothes.
○ Do you buy more things on the internet than in shops?
◌ No, I don’t buy more things on the internet than in shops.
○ Does the teacher know more English words than the students?
◌ Yes, the teacher knows more English words than the students.
○ What do they sell at the grocer’s?
◌ They sell food at the grocer’s.
○ Where do they sell fruit and vegetables?
◌ They sell fruit and vegetables at the market or at the grocer’s.
○ Are some people good at selling things?
◌ Yes, some people are good at selling things.
○ What do they sell at the supermarket
◌ They sell frozen food, food in tins, tea, fruit and vegetables at the supermarket.
○ Have you got a plasma TV at home?
◌ Yes, I’ve got a plasma TV at home.
○ Do you prefer a plasma or an LCD television?
◌ I prefer an LCD television.
○ Where can we buy radios and televisions?
◌ We can buy radios and televisions in an electrical store.
○ Do they sell televisions and computers on the internet?
◌ Yes, they sell televisions and computers on the internet.
○ Is an old mobile phone cheap?
◌ Yes, an old mobile phone is cheap.
○ Is a box of tissues expensive?
◌ No, a box of tissues isn’t expensive. It’s cheap.
○ Is a large LCD television cheap?
◌ No, a large LCD television isn’t cheap. It’s expensive.
○ Do they sell cheap things at Harrods?
◌ No, they don’t sell cheap things at Harrods. They sell expensive things.
○ Can you buy cheap fruit and vegetables at the market?
◌ Yes, you can buy cheap fruit and vegetables at the market
○ Do some people work at night?
◌ Yes, some people work at night.
○ Are you at work now?
◌ No, I’m not at work now. I’m at school.
○ Where does a manager work?
◌ A manager works in an office.
○ Is there a post office in this street?
◌ No, there isn’t a post office in this street.
○ Where do we go to send letters?
◌ We go to the post office to send letters.
○ Do you have a lot of stress at work?
◌ No, I don’t have a lot of stress at work.
○ Is a lot of stress good for you?
◌ No, a lot of streess isn’t good for me.
○ Do people like working under stress?
◌ No, people don’t like working under stress.
○ Are children sometimes under stress at school?
◌ Yes, children are sometimes under stress at school.
○ Are we inside the classroom?
◌ Yes, we are inside the classroom.
○ Is there a CD inside the book?
◌ Yes, there’s a CD inside the book.
○ What parts are inside a computer?
◌ The parts inside a computer are the hard disk, the motherboard and the processor.
○ Do you often surf the internet?
◌ Yes, I often surf the internet.
○ Do you download films or music?
◌ Yes, I sometimes download films or music.
○ Can you install software?
◌ No, I can’t install software.
○ When you surf the internet, what do you do?
◌ When I surf the internet, I download music or software.
○ Do you use your mobile phone to surf the internet?
◌ Yes, I sometimes use my mobile phone to surf the internet.
○ Is it nice to work outside in winter?
◌ No, I don’t think it’s nice to work outside in winter.
○ What parts are outside a computer?
◌ The parts outside a computer are the mouse, the screen and the keyboard.
○ Is it cold outside?
◌ No, it isn’t cold outside.
○ Can you use a computer without a mouse?
◌ Yes, I can use a computer without a mouse.
◌ I can use the keyboard.
○ Has your computer got a DVD writer?
◌ Yes, my computer has got a DVD writer.
○ Do you use a webcam when you surf the internet?
◌ Yes, I use a webcam when I surf the internet.
○ Have most computers got speakers?
◌ Yes, most computers have got speakers.
○ Have you got a scanner at home?
◌ No, I haven’t got a scanner at home.
○ Are most webcams cheap?
◌ Yes, most webcams are cheap.
○ Do most laptops have webcams and speakers?
◌ Yes, most laptops have webcams and speakers.
A2 Seviyesi Pratik İngilizce
Are you ready to go home now?
No, I’m not ready to go home now.
Are you always ready to help your friends?
Yes, I’m always ready to help my friends.
Should shop assistants always be ready to help customers?
Yes, shop assistants should always be ready to help customers.
Do you think you’re a difficult customer?
No, I don’t think I’m a difficult customer.
V Harfi İle Başlayan Kelimeler
Y Harfi İle Başlayan Kelimeler
W Harfi İle Başlayan Kelimeler
Z Harfi İle Başlayan Kelimeler
- zero /ˈzɪərəʊ/ (number) : sıfır
◌ the number 0
○ The number one million is written with a one and six zeroes.
- zero /ˈzɪərəʊ/ (verb) : sıfırlamak
◌ to set a piece of equipment or control to ‘0’
○ Make sure the meter is level and zeroed.
|B2||zone||/zəʊn/||n||bölge, kuşak, mıntıka, alan|
|zone||/zəʊn/||v||bir yerde ancak belirli bir faaliyete izin vermek|
- zone /zəʊn/ (noun) : bölge, kuşak, mıntıka, alan
- zone /zəʊn/ (verb) : bir yerde ancak belirli bir faaliyete izin vermek
- zonal () :
- zoned () :
- zones () :
- zoning () :
- A2 zero (/ˈzɪərəʊ/) : number
- zero (/ˈzɪərəʊ/) : verb
A1 Seviyesi Pratik İngilizce
Hello, my name is Gareth.
Hello, my name is John.
What is your name?
My name is Thomas.
What is my name?
Your name is Alex.
What is your surname?
My surname is Jones.
What is my surname?
Your surname is Smith.